About Us



Chief John DiPasquale
Non-Emergencies 908-464-1111

Citizen Complaint Form


What is Internal Affairs?

The Berkeley Heights Police Department Internal Affairs Division is mandated to investigate allegations of misconduct against employees of the Berkeley Heights Police Department. It is a fact finding entity, and its purpose is three-fold:

Protection of the Public — The public has the right to receive fair, efficient and impartial law enforcement. Any misconduct by department personnel must first be detected, then thoroughly investigated and finally, properly adjudicated to assure the maintenance of these qualities.

Protection of the Department — The department is often evaluated and judged by the conduct of its individual employees. It is imperative that the whole organization not be criticized because of the misconduct of a few. An informed public must have confidence that its police department honestly and fairly investigates and adjudicates all allegations of misconduct against its employees.

Protection of the Employee
— Employees must be protected against false or misinformed allegations of misconduct. This can only be accomplished through a consistently thorough investigative process.

How Do I Make A Complaint?

Complaints against members of the Berkeley Heights Police Department may be made by phone, letter or in person. Complaints may be made to any supervisor in the Police Department; however, a complaint filed directly at the Police Department can be processed and assigned for investigation fastest. The address of the Police Department is 29 Park Avenue, Berkeley Heights, New Jersey and the telephone number is (908) 464-1111.

What Happens To My Complaint After It Is Received?

All complaints received by the Department are processed through the Internal Affairs Unit. When a complaint is received, it is reviewed to determine the nature of the allegations. The most serious type of complaints are investigated by the Internal Affairs Division. These complaints involve allegations such as excessive force, any discharge of firearms, or criminal activity such as theft. Complaints comparatively less serious in nature, such as rude behavior or improper procedure, are forwarded to the individual officer's division for investigation. In every case, the person making the complaint will be contacted during the investigation for additional information, and will be notified by mail of the final disposition.

How Do I Commend An Officer?

Citizens who feel an officer has performed his or her duties in a particularly courteous, helpful or competent manner may express their appreciation in a number of ways.
Contact any supervisor (in person or by telephone) at Police Headquarters Write a letter to the officer, the officer's Supervisor or to:

Be sure to obtain the officer's name and badge number if possible.

Captain Robert Deitch

Sgt. Jason Massimino









Privacy Statement | Register for E-mail Notifications | Contact Us
29 Park Avenue  •  Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922  •  (908) 464-2700